So. Define "X."

Let's start with the basics. I'm about to go to college. Obviously, every new college student wants to avoid the freshman 10…or 15. I am no exception. I’m Sam. A senior at Hawken School in Gates Mills, Ohio. I’ve always been an athlete—you know, the little kid in the overalls and pigtails on the playground who, between digging for worms and chugging chocolate milk, was out on the field tearing after which ever runny nosed little boy had the ball at the moment, playing full-on tackle football. Mind you, most of this was while the rest of my female compadres jumped rope or practiced cheerleading, raising a fifth-grade disapproving eyebrow at the one of their own covered in mud and smelling kind of funny. Eventually, I would go on to discover make-up, and boys, and earrings, and other such “girly” essentials. But that hard-core, gritty competitor was one part of me that never left. I never could have imagined my life without the Sunday drives to soccer tournaments and the post-game rehash with my super-fan, insanely athletic dad. That is, until the first day of my senior year.

In soccer, I play goalie. How's this for a freak accident: in my borderline psychotic, “anything to prevent a goal, no matter how irrational it might seem” mentality, I came flying off the goal line to avoid what would clearly have been a goal, and slide tackled a six-foot behemoth, sending the ball ricocheting out of bounds. Oh, what a beautiful play it was! Until the agonizing pain of my broken fibula sank in after about three seconds. That little lapse in judgment kick started a senior year filled with doctors appointments, full-leg casts, bones that refused to heal, an excruciatingly painful basketball season, and landed me in not one, but two casts over the course of 12th grade—I opted for tie-dye the second time, which proved to be a nice change of pace from the glow in the dark I had the first go-around. I mean, if I’m going to have a cast, it might as well be ridiculous.

I got that second lovely hunk of plaster (or fiber glass if we’re going to be completely correct) after getting surgery on March 22, where I’ve been told Dr. Goodwin at the Cleveland Clinic inserted some form of metal do-hickey in my right leg to hold the two floppy sections of fibula together in hopes that the compression might stimulate some bone growth. For good measure they snagged some bone marrow from my hip and shot it in there, in case the bone didn’t get the message to get busy healing from the metal plate alone.

Bottom line is, this year I got to experience life where sports were not the main focus. While my teammates took recruiting trips and talked about their options, I planned Homecoming and built up my portfolio. I decided that it was art, not soccer, that would be taking me to college.

Now, that was all fine and dandy (except for with my dad who took a little while to let this emotional blow sink in) until I realized one night as I scarfed down a bacon cheeseburger and munched on my brother’s French fries (just like always--i mean during my athletic career, food and I had always been pals. I needed all the fuel I could get in order to compete.) “Hey wait a minute…this was ok while I had sports every day…But before I go to college, I’m pretty sure some things are gonna have to change.” And BAM. Just like that, the idea for my senior project was hatched: Figure out a way for a kid going to college to stay healthy and active without the daily practices of high school sports to keep them in check. Everything from finding different forms of activity to fit individual styles, to what food choices to make. It's all here. So follow me on this quest to find a balanced, healthy life style for all those X-Athletes out there.


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Week 3, Day 3 (Exercise can drastically improve your mood...)

This project is wearing me out more and more. I had so much trouble getting out of bed this morning that I had tears in my eyes, and my mood was foul to put it mildly. For those of you who don't know how much time goes into maintaining a blog, it takes about 2 hours to write a post, and another hour to read the book of the week. I have to take a notebook around with me to every class, training session, doctor's appointment, and meal, and take notes on exactly what I'm doing. It becomes very tiresome, however I am getting great results, so I will smile and keep plugging away. And none of that is even to mention the actual, physical activity over the course of the day. Basically, I am spent and really trying hard to find my second wind.

7:45 am- Breakfast
Although Cinnamon Toast Crunch was not the most filling or nutritionally sound choice, I needed something sweet that was a change from Special K. I have fond that I've developed a real aversion to having salty food in the morning. I may have to look into why I crave a bit of sugar when I first wake up as opposed to a fatty or salty taste.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch
2% milk
2 rings pineapple

10 am- RetroRobics
Honestly, though last week I resented the mere 45 minute session of RetroRobics, today I saw it as a blessing. Though my anxiety was a bit heightened after not working out the day before due to being shut out of the ZUMBA! class, I still couldn't find the motivation to really go in there and want to exercise. I was in an absolutely bitter mood when I parked my car outside of Urban Active. I had tears dripping down my face underneath my sunglasses (which I truly attribute to just being over tired) and I sat in my front seat really debating whether or not to go for a scenic drive through Shaker Heights instead of dragging myself into the studio. In the end, I bit the bullet and marched to class. Thankfully, I wasn't late because the other class was running a bit behind schedule. Today, we used a step and a mat (for abs). We did a bit of marching, punching, and kicking on the floor, and then used to step to do the same. We utilized the step going both horizontally and vertically, which was something I hadn't been asked to do before in this class. One move that was new to me which I really like was a straddle over the platform into a jump. When she was instructing us, we began with both feet on the horizontal platform, and then stepped down with the right, down with the left, up with the right, up with the left, down (again), down (again), then jumped with both legs onto the platform and repeated. It sounds simple enough, but especially when its done at a jog, or with a bounce in your step, it becomes very difficult. Overall, I am noticing these classes getting easier and easier for me. I felt the abs today but was far from dying. The aerobic workout was good and made me sweat, but I got through it without any real issue. I, my friends, am getting to be back in shape. Well, it's about time.

One other thing I would like to comment on is what exercise can do for your mood. I found that after class today, I was far less stressed and no longer teary. Sometimes when I am really upset, going for a run or a walk really improves those negative feelings for me. I like it because when I work out, I become fully absorbed in the activity and getting myself through it. When I return to my daily activities, everything that was on my mind before seems less important. To back up my personal experiences, www.everydayhealth.com says this about what exercise can do for your mood:

"Can a few laps around the block solve emotional difficulties? Probably not, but a regular exercise program might help. A variety of studies have found that exercise can boost mood.

How does exercise benefit your mind? To begin with, aerobic exercise prompts the release of mood-lifting hormones, which relieve stress and promote a sense of well-being. In addition, the repetitive cycle of muscle contraction and release that takes place in yoga or in aerobic pursuits such as walking and swimming increases levels of the brain chemical serotonin, which combats negative feelings.

Many studies since the 1980s have reached roughly the same conclusion: People getting at least a moderate amount of exercise have fewer symptoms of depression. One investigation, involving 2,084 men and women ages 65 and older, found that among the participants who initially reported symptoms of depression, those who walked daily had a third fewer symptoms after three years. The Harvard Alumni Health Study turned up similar results. The men who burned 1,000–2,500 calories per week through aerobic activity lowered their risk for depression by 17%. In participants who burned more than 2,500 calories a week, the risk of experiencing depression dropped by 28%.

Not only can exercise help ward off depression, but it is also an effective treatment in many cases. A review of studies stretching back to 1981 concluded that regular exercise can improve mood in people with mild to moderate depression. It also may play a supporting role in treating severe depression. In fact, some studies have found that exercise can relieve symptoms of mild to moderate depression as effectively as medication.

Exercise can also alleviate anxiety, which is characterized by worry and fear. The greatest benefits derive from a program of aerobic activity lasting at least 10 weeks, and, ideally, more than 15 weeks. People who start with high levels of anxiety and low levels of fitness garner the greatest gains. Research suggests that this type of program can be as successful as other anxiety-reducing techniques, such as relaxation training. "


11:30 am- Lunch
I was in a hurry to get up to Hawken and take my makeup AP Environmental Science Exam after I got home from class, so I had to make myself lunch on the fly. Though we had some leftover noodles and vegetables from dinner two nights ago (and my dinner last night as well), I wanted a change of pace, but was still craving a pasta dish. I went for frozen fettuccine alfredo because it was quick, I knew exactly how much I was eating and it was correctly portioned, and I was craving white sauce. The ice cream was a better, more filling option than chips or pretzels. I didn't have time to cut myself strawberries and I didn't want an apple, so I ran out of the house without a fruit. Shame on me.

Frozen fettuccine alfredo
Serving double fudge brownie icecream
Handful Tony Packo's Pickles (these things are absolutely amazing. they only have 3 calories per serving, they are spicy and delicious, and great for something to munch on when you're in a hurry.)

3:00 pm- Snack
After the AP test was over, I hopped in my car and my stomach was roaring. I drank 46 ounces of propel while in the test, but my tummy wanted food, of which I had none. Luckily, my sister is kind of a slob and left a brownie wrapped in plastic on the floor of my car from when I dropped her off at school this morning. A little weird, but it would have to do. I ate that, and began my drive directly down to see Doctor Rome at the Cleveland Clinic.

Small brownie I found on my floor

4:00 pm- Check up with Dr. Ellen Rome
One thing I will say for my visits with Doctor Rome over the course of this project: they have been so quick and painless. Usually when I would go into her office, it would be a 2 hour ordeal of waiting and then chatting with a nurse, then another nurse, then a resident, all before Dr. Rome would make an appearance. These visits, on the other hand, have only taken about a half hour from start to finish. Today we chatted about my blog and my project. I told her how I was okay with weighing a little bit more because I knew it was muscle, and in all honesty, I like the way I look right now--strong and healthy. She took my blood pressure and heart rate sitting and standing, and the heart rate was in the 60s for both (something I was really happy with because of a heart rate scare a couple months back). The blood pressure sitting was good, and standing was still alright but could have been a little bit better. She told me I needed to focus on getting more fluids to get that up a little bit. Other than that, we discussed my home life and my stress levels, then I was on my merry way.

6:00 pm- Dinner
Dinner was nearly hot on the table when I got home for once. I loved that. Usually my family doesn't eat until 8 or 9 (which I have heard is not very healthy, but after doing some research there seems to be no conclusive evidence that it is bad for you) and I am left making myself soup or frozen mac n' cheese. But not tonight!

David Berg Hot Dog (These are one of my favorite meals my family makes. They are 1/3 pound, and very light. They don't have a ton of preservatives or weird ingredients. For the most part, they are natural and very filling.)
Hot dog bun
3 Mrs. T's perogies sauteed in a little bit of olive oil
Broccoli

6:45 pm- Dessert
After dinner, I was still clearly hungry and craving sweet things. I also wanted something that would fill me up, so the ice cream and the milk helped with that. I believe I had just the right amount of food today for my activity level. I love days like these.

Small serving vanilla ice cream
Heinen's fudge brownie
6 ounces 2% milk
2 peanut butter Treasures

In a previous post, I had my friend Natalie drop a hint to me about trying almond milk. I did a bit of research and found that it is not milk at all, but rather almonds and water ground together. You can make it at home or buy it from the store. It is lighter and apparently doesn't taste very much like milk, offering an alternative for those who don't like milk's flavor. Here are some facts from http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com:

Health Benefits of Almond Milk

* Almond milk is rich in Vitamin E, a known antioxidant, and thus, is believed to good for those undergoing detoxification programs.
* Almond milk contains high levels of unsaturated fat and has been associated with lower risk of heart attack.
* Almond milk has been found to contain little to no saturated fat and no cholesterol, making it extremely good for those suffering from high cholesterol problem.
* Almond milk does not contain lactose. This makes it easily digestible and the perfect alternative for those suffering from lactose-intolerance.
* Owing to the absence of saturated fats and presence of unsaturated fats, almond milk can be said to be good for those trying to lose weight
.

Nutritional Facts about Almond Milk

* Almond milk is rich in protein and omega fatty acids.
* Almonds milk does not contain cholesterol and saturated fats
* Almonds milk has high levels of vitamin E and unsaturated fats
* Almond milk contains minerals such as zinc, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron.
* 8 oz (237ml) of almond milk contains 70 calories, 2gm protein, 10gm carbohydrates and 2.5 gm fat: 2.5g
* Almond milk has zero fiber.

Reading Material

The Secret gave me an activity to do today, and I wanted to share it with readers of the blog so that perhaps they could try it to. The basic idea was to make a list of "mood shifters"--or thoughts that can instantly change your mind from sending out negative signals to sending out positive ones, therefore attracting more positive thoughts to you.

Here is a list of my mood shifters:

1) In the summer, driving the paint van (my summer job) with my window down and Third Eye Blind blaring as I drive along County Line Road with a bright yellow sun against a clear blue sky, birds chirping and flowers blooming along the side of the road.

2) "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls

3) Hearing "i love you"

4) Laying in the middle of the road under the stars at my best friend Brooke's cottage in the summer.

5) Shwayze

6) Playing soccer (but only when its just for fun--at least for right now.)

7) The Hawken campus

8) Driving to Lodi with my dad, listening to James Taylor's album, Hourglass

9) Talking to my brother

10) Reading trash mags like OK!, Star, and People and watching E!

I highly encourage you to make your own. It will really help keep you on track and follow the laws of The Secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment