So. Define "X."

Let's start with the basics. I'm about to go to college. Obviously, every new college student wants to avoid the freshman 10…or 15. I am no exception. I’m Sam. A senior at Hawken School in Gates Mills, Ohio. I’ve always been an athlete—you know, the little kid in the overalls and pigtails on the playground who, between digging for worms and chugging chocolate milk, was out on the field tearing after which ever runny nosed little boy had the ball at the moment, playing full-on tackle football. Mind you, most of this was while the rest of my female compadres jumped rope or practiced cheerleading, raising a fifth-grade disapproving eyebrow at the one of their own covered in mud and smelling kind of funny. Eventually, I would go on to discover make-up, and boys, and earrings, and other such “girly” essentials. But that hard-core, gritty competitor was one part of me that never left. I never could have imagined my life without the Sunday drives to soccer tournaments and the post-game rehash with my super-fan, insanely athletic dad. That is, until the first day of my senior year.

In soccer, I play goalie. How's this for a freak accident: in my borderline psychotic, “anything to prevent a goal, no matter how irrational it might seem” mentality, I came flying off the goal line to avoid what would clearly have been a goal, and slide tackled a six-foot behemoth, sending the ball ricocheting out of bounds. Oh, what a beautiful play it was! Until the agonizing pain of my broken fibula sank in after about three seconds. That little lapse in judgment kick started a senior year filled with doctors appointments, full-leg casts, bones that refused to heal, an excruciatingly painful basketball season, and landed me in not one, but two casts over the course of 12th grade—I opted for tie-dye the second time, which proved to be a nice change of pace from the glow in the dark I had the first go-around. I mean, if I’m going to have a cast, it might as well be ridiculous.

I got that second lovely hunk of plaster (or fiber glass if we’re going to be completely correct) after getting surgery on March 22, where I’ve been told Dr. Goodwin at the Cleveland Clinic inserted some form of metal do-hickey in my right leg to hold the two floppy sections of fibula together in hopes that the compression might stimulate some bone growth. For good measure they snagged some bone marrow from my hip and shot it in there, in case the bone didn’t get the message to get busy healing from the metal plate alone.

Bottom line is, this year I got to experience life where sports were not the main focus. While my teammates took recruiting trips and talked about their options, I planned Homecoming and built up my portfolio. I decided that it was art, not soccer, that would be taking me to college.

Now, that was all fine and dandy (except for with my dad who took a little while to let this emotional blow sink in) until I realized one night as I scarfed down a bacon cheeseburger and munched on my brother’s French fries (just like always--i mean during my athletic career, food and I had always been pals. I needed all the fuel I could get in order to compete.) “Hey wait a minute…this was ok while I had sports every day…But before I go to college, I’m pretty sure some things are gonna have to change.” And BAM. Just like that, the idea for my senior project was hatched: Figure out a way for a kid going to college to stay healthy and active without the daily practices of high school sports to keep them in check. Everything from finding different forms of activity to fit individual styles, to what food choices to make. It's all here. So follow me on this quest to find a balanced, healthy life style for all those X-Athletes out there.


Thursday, May 27, 2010

"The Plan"- Physical Fitness

Before I begin focusing specifically on physical fitness, I would like to share an exchange of emails between me and AnnMarie Cipolla, one of my trainers, and the person who has proven to be my greatest influence over the course of this project. After our final training session, I sent her a quick email to thank her, but also to ask about this whole idea of a holistic lifestyle. I wanted to make sure I was getting it right. I said:

"Hi Ann Marie!
It's been one day and I already have a question for you. What can you tell me about living holistically or what it means to have a holistic lifestyle? I'm reading and writing a lot about it and I'm trying to make sure that I'm getting the right ideas and am understanding what it actually is. What I've taken from my research is that it is any lifestyle that makes you feel/offers you the tools to be a whole person in mind body and spirit and that those three areas are kind of working together in harmony. Also it seems that when you look at it in the context of like holistic medicine, it means that instead of just treating an illness with a pill for instance, you also examine other areas of a person's life to try to fix other contributing factors and areas that may be out of balance. It seems that a lifestyle like this can be very different from person to person.

The goal of my project has been to come up with a plan for myself for next year to make sure that I am well, not only physically but emotionally as well. When you influenced me to start doing things like stop drinking pop, and lift lighter weights, and just relax and breathe for a change, something inside of me really switched. I love the way my body feels without the pop in it. The difference is extremely apparent. The yoga and working on the ball was awesome too, because it forced my body to slow down which was something that it had never really been forced to do, and again the feeling was fantastic. I have also been reading a book called The Secret which has really forced me to focus on the energy that I emit and make sure that it is positive. By being conscious of that, my days have taken a drastic turn for the better and I truly feel great. This project has taught me so much and has really showed me the areas in my life that I need to change and how much better I feel once I begin to implement those changes. With that being said, I have really been looking into the concept of living more holistically and what that entails. In college, I don't want to drink (as in at all--during this project another realization I came to was how out of whack alcohol makes my body feel) and I want to focus on my work and be as successful as I possibly can. Practicing this type of living really seems to fit well with where I want my life to go.

I could be babbling for all I know, like I said, I'm checking in with you to make sure I'm getting this right.

Thanks so much for everything you have done for me. You have been the single greatest influence and help in this entire project.

-Sam"

To which she replied:

"Hi Sam ~

I'm delighted to hear from you! The three points you mentioned in the first paragraph are absolutely dead on: Harmony, balance and individuality. Those are keys factors in a holistic lifestyle. It is apparent that you have a very good understanding of what it means to live holistically. It is also clear to me that you're "listening" to your body. The testimony about how alcohol makes you feel, slowing down and taking diet drinks out of your life brings this point home. Listening is such a huge factor in living a balanced life. If your body is reacting in an adverse way, then something is wrong. It is our responsibility to listen to our bodies and make the necessary changes. If you listen well, which is really sounds like you are, you're body will work at optimal energy and you'll have peace. Now, there's a concept!! :)

I am so happy that are sessions were helpful to you. I appreciate your willingness to learn and stay open! I truly believe you will be successful at this. Awareness is the first step and you've already taken it so you're well on your way. Keep up the great work and remember to enjoy the journey!

Feel free to write or call anytime. I would love to hear from you.

All the best ~

AnnMarie

Ps. Some additional reading that I would highly recommend:
The Blood Type Diet....Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo
Any of Dr. Colbert's Books....Stress Less..... is one of my favorites
Yoga for Wellness.......Gary Kraftsow
You Can Heal Your Life.....Louise Hay"


It was really encouraging to hear that I am on the right track with my plan.

A big part of living a balanced life next year will be making sure that I get adequate exercise to keep me feeling energized and good about my body. For example, due to family commitments, a holiday weekend, and a lack of energy or motivation, I haven't exercised in six days. And I feel it. I am sluggish and have a noticeable lack in body confidence. I don't feel whole or like myself.

In order to avoid these feelings, there are several things I need to keep in mind for next year:

1) I need to make a commitment to getting to the gym on a regular basis. 4 times per week is my goal. If I don't stick to that, it will end up affecting several other aspects of my life, as it has proven to have done in this last week. Part of the concept of holistic living is understanding how the different pieces of your life fit together and affect one another. For example, the physical fitness aspect affects the mental aspect very directly. As does nutrition. And physical fitness and nutrition go hand in hand.

2) I need to consciously find activities that keep me excited about working out. Also, variety will be key. I need to make sure that I get a good mix of different types of cardio and alternate that with weight training for my arms, shoulders, back, chest, abs, and legs.

3) I need a plan for those times when I can't make it to the rec center for whatever reason. Whether there is three feet of snow outside, or I am too tired, or I have to go out in an hour and only have 20 minutes to fit a workout in, there will always be those days when I don't make it over there. Instead of throwing in the towel, a key for me will be having things to do in my room so that I can still feel as though I accomplished something. In order to aid me in that area, AnnMarie made me a gigantic list of equipment and exercises to help me stay on top of my workout routines no matter where I am.

First, she gave me a list of basic equipment that I should keep in my dorm room for time like these. Hopefully my roommate won't try to kill me for taking up valuable space with my equipment...

1) "Magic Ball"- 65 centimeters worked best for me
2) Tube- medium heavy (basically a giant rubber band rolled up like a rigatoni noodle with handles on both ends)
3) Band- heavy (a basic strip of thin rubber with a high resistance)
4) Weights- 8,10,12, potentially 15 (lighter weights are easier to transport and best for performing exercises on the ball. one thing this project has taught me is weights that are too heavy are unnecessary and they only existed in my life to prove a point.)
5) Yoga DVDs- from www.viniyoga.com- this is the kind of yoga that I practiced with AnnMarie and I responded really well to it. at least three times per week I will try to pop it into my computer and take a half hour to relax and do the workout.

AnnMarie went on to present me with a detailed exercise routine that could be performed right in my dorm room using only the equipment listed above, along with other things, like my bed, or simply the floor.

Chest- to be performed with mid to upper back on the ball
1) Chest Press (weights)
2) Fly (weights)
3) Close grip fly (weights)

Triceps- mid to upper back on the ball
1) Headbanger- 2 arms, 1 arms, 2 arms 1 weight (weights)
2) Overhead (weights)

Triceps- sitting on ball, leaning forward to 45 degrees
1) Kickbacks (weights or band)

Biceps- standing or sitting on ball with back straight
1) Straight Curls (weights or band)
2) Hammer Curls (weights or band)
3) Rotation Curls- start in hammer end in straight, start in straight end in hammer (weights or band)
4) 7's- straight curls- start down end halfway for 7, start halfway end up for 7, full straight curls for 7

Shoulders- standing or sitting on ball with back straight
1) Lateral Raise- start in "sphinx", end with arms flat in line with shoulders at a 90 degree angle to body (weights)
2) Military Press- start in "field goal post" position, end with arms fully extended above head (weights)
3) Reverse Fly (weights or band)
4) Goal Raise- start with arms flat in line with shoulders at a 90 degree angle to body, end in "field goal post" position (weights)
5) Rear Delt- lying on side, weight starts on floor with arm at full extension, end with weight directly above head with arm at full extension (very light weights- 3 pounds)
6) Modified Rear Delt- lying on side, arm bent, elbow rests on hip, weight at floor, end elbow on hip, arm bent, weight directly over hip (light weights- 5 pounds)

Legs- standing
1) Plie Squat- legs beyond shoulder width apart, toes angled outward, push through heels making sure that knees do not cross over toes when bending
2) Straight Squat- legs shoulder width apart or a bit less, push through heels, knees don't extend over toes
**With my particular body, because I am both tall and extremely flexible, I feel squat more when I don't go down as far. It is more effective for me to pulse in a medium squat than it is for me to repeat deep squats.

Legs- back on floor, lower calves and heels on ball
1) Pevlic Lifts (key move in pilates)- breathe in on the lift, breathe out on the release- raise and lower slowly, hold the lift

Legs- Side Leg- lying on side, body straight and long like a pencil
1) Top Leg Lift- raise and lower slowly, hold the lift
2) Meet- raise top leg, hold, raise bottom leg to meet top leg, hold, lower bottom leg, hold, lower top leg
3) Double- both legs at same time

Legs/Glutes- draped over ball
1) Super Girl- lift right leg and left hand/squeeze glutes, lift left leg and right hand/squeeze glutes, lift both legs, squeeze glutes

Legs/Glutes- kneeling, tube wrapped around bedpost, with other handle on ball of foot
1) Push Back- extend attached leg directly backwards, make sure the resistance is heavy enough
2) Lift- lift extended leg to hip level and squeeze

Push Ups- drape over ball, and roll forward until in plank. roll as far forward as is manageable.

Abs- mid to lower back on ball
*Must go slowly
1) Basic Crunch
2) Twist- lift center, side, center, back
3) Dive- basic crunch with arms fully extended above head in "dive position"

Abs- back on floor, legs bent
*Must go slowly, can be modified by holding a weight in your hands, or by using straight legs versus bent
1) Jack Hammer- crunch, lift legs to meet head (or a s close as you can get), lower legs, lower head

No comments:

Post a Comment